Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Interesting NFL rule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Interesting NFL rule

    If a kick returner has one foot out of bounds while fielding the kick, the ball is considered an out of bounds kick and the receiving team gets the ball at the 40. I thought that was an odd one and had never seen it before until Hester was fielding a kickoff.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting NFL rule

    It is odd but I can understand why it is that way.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting NFL rule

    I don't understand it. If you touch the ball before it is actually out of bounds, then the ball should be dead there. Let it go if you want the penalty.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #4
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting NFL rule

    yeah I thought Hester made a huge blunder and then they marked the ball at the 40 and Phil Simms went into great detail about the rule. I would assume its only an nfl rule?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting NFL rule

    Actually it depends. You have to determine whether or not the receiving team is reaching out of bounds to catch it, or if they are standing with a foot on the sideline and touching the ball with the flight still in bounds.

    If R is reaching out of bounds then it is treated just like it was never touched. If R is fielding inbounds with a foot on the line, then R caused it to be out, and the ball is awarded at the spot.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #6
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Interesting NFL rule

    Here is a question from todays Cowboys game, Green for the Dolphins went to spike the ball, it was ruled a fumble, however he was never touched down, so how was the play over?
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •